Thursday, September 18, 2008

Assume the position

Ok - a couple of things you need to know for this story to make sense. I'm a nurse. I work night shift. A Pyxis is the machine that we pull medications out of for the patients. Right then, now you're all up to speed.... ;-)

The night shift has to do the narcotics count every morning around 5:00. It takes two nurses, one that counts the meds in the drawers of the Pyxis, and one that types in the numbers that the other nurse counts. So this morning, I was counting narcotics with another nurse. I was doing the counting part. The drawers go all the way down to the floor, and most people when they count those either squat or kneel down or something. Me, I just bend over :-) (Does this surprise anyone?) When we were getting down to the lowest drawers the other nurse asked me, "Is your back hurting yet from bending over like that?" And I said, "Oh, no, I'm fine." And I added (to myself, in my head).... "Oh, don't worry, honey, I've had plenty of practice in this position!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog. I am a night nurse who uses a pyxis and I can so relate to your analogy. Have you noticed how many of us nurses are spankos? Wonder why? LOL. Looking forward to learning more about you.
Ciao,
I gal

Do you want to exchange links?